Sunday, April 19, 2009

BSI Challenge: When Life Gives you Lemons...

I am excited to announce I have joined the Blogger Secret Ingredient Challenge! I was looking for something exactly like this and happened to see it on Krista's blog (or was it Ruth's?)

Either way, I jumped right on the bandwagon with this week's challenge: Lemons!
APRIL19A
First I made High Protein, Low-Fat Lemon Scones. They unfortunately were chewier than I'd hoped, but wonderfully lemony and almost like a flat muffin treat. I will definately work on the recipe to make it less moist and chewy.

I then decided to up my entry by adding Sinless Lemon Granita.

(Photographed was my breakfast, well.. two scones.. and my midmorning snack was two small pieces of dark rye, an egg white, a bowl of natural popcorn, and an apple.)


High Protein, Low-Fat Lemon Scones:

APRIL19B
six scones, each approximately 115Cal, 9g protein; 1g fat)
No recipe yet, as I want to tweak it, but ingredients are: whole wheat flour, fat free yogurt, vegetarian protein powder, zero-calorie sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, liquid egg white, lemon zest.

Sinless Lemon Granita (served with fresh strawberries):
APRIL19C
this one is too easy, fast, and to taste for true measurements. I'll tell you how I did it but feel free to make more or less, sweeter or not as you like!

1.5 peeled, quartered, and frozen lemons
2 tbsp non-calorie sweetener
1/8 c. liquid (lemonade would of course work lovely here)
optional: frozen blueberries would add a wonderful flavor!
optional: fresh fruit, such as strawberries

In a blender blend the lemons and sweetener. You'll need to stop and move things from the side. Add some liquid as needed to make the right texture. Serve immediately. Especially good with fresh fruit, to take some of the bite off!

Today is going to be a good day--I have a super easy mini-recipe for lunch too, so stay tuned!

No comments: