Saturday, April 25, 2009

by my calculations this post is worth 14,000 words.

Feeling tons better. Unfortunately that also means I have a ton of 'splainin to do re:food. So I'm going to be brief and make this a photo post, with lots of captions.

I love my dad for coming and getting me... there is nothing that home could do that I couldnt do myself, but something about having your parents give you a big hug and send you to bed, and knowing they're two floors up should you really need someone to rub your back while you hug the loo makes it all so much better.

Photo 1: Snack yesterday: leftover breakfast, cold and just like that. Was pretty much like custard. Only less sweet.
APRIL24C
Photo 2: Snack afterwards: about 1/4 cup of organic nuts (actually, a bit more cus I cheated.)
APRIL24D
Photo 3: just over 1/2lb organic strawberries
APRIL24E
Photo 4: Still munchin... rice crisps with pumpkin nut butter and sugar free jam. Add 4 unphotographed. Or was it five.
APRIL24F
Photo 5: Raw organic zucchini spaggetti with Neal Bothers organic pasta sauce, some of my homemade chickpeas (they're mostly hidden) and--the culprit--a sprinkle of parmesan. Seriously, this sprinkle was really really small: it was a friend being nice. This particular gift included food poisoning. Lesson learnt: parmesan=evil. Rennet-free or not.
APRIL24G
Photo 6: Yogurt, frozen berries, and some sweetener. Pre-hurling. Most of the last two came back up, to be honest.
APRIL24H



TODAY!!!
I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed at my parents--I did the crossword, chatted with my dad, went and bought groceries, AND took a shower before breakfast (which ended up being around 9:30am) OH! And I weighed myself as I stepped out of the shower (so my hair was wet, though I towelled off well) 135.6lbs, 21.4% body fat--that's 5.6lbs to go, 2-3% body fat (Getting JUST under 20 isn't good enough because my scale will fluctuate within 4%.. I'll be satisfied the day I read 18% though.. which I concede might not be this summer.. or ever, but damn it if I wont try.)

Photo 7:My haul, for $43 (click to read what you're seeing, if you want to know, I wrote it on flickr to save space here.)
APRIL25 (1)
Photo 8: I got all these organic bananas for 0.79 cents. You say gross.
APRIL25 (2)
Photo 9: I say YUM! (I actually used the mushed one, just cut off the really bad parts, especially what had been exposed.
APRIL25 (3)
Photo 10: Cut up and ready for the freezer--to be used however I want: as an ultra sweet snack, with nut butter or chocolate, melted into oats, baked, you name it I got it! After 2 hrs or so I transfer them into a ziplock freezer bag for storage, this just keeps them from being one big clump!
APRIL25 (4)
I had half of the olives, a dozen or so honey mandarins, a rice cake, some organic peanut butter (my parents had no other nut butter! I know its not anti-candida, but I'm trying) and some of the orange marmalade for breakfast. Oh, and some yogurt, nuts, goji berries, and pomegranate seeds. Yum!

Photo 11: Look how small the honey mandarins are!! awwwwwww! I ate one with the skin and its so thin its fine, but I rather it off. Its kinda nice how labor intensive they are, means its hard to overeat, haha. The mini pieces are sooooo cuuuuute. Lol.
APRIL25 (5)
Photo 12: And the yogurt.
APRIL25 (6)

Photo 13: Took some of these from my mom (traded it for 1/2 the box of mandarins--literally transported it in the box, so volume for volume!) These will be awesome for soup and cooking rice, which I never really did before gluten-free to be honest... But I'm also eating a lot better in general now, like more stuff from scratch than most of the year, so yes.
APRIL25 (7)

Photo 14: Finally. Dinner.

I made baked falafel with what's left of my chickpeas (recipe at end) I spooned out 3 tbsp or so of the baba ganoosh (15cal/tbsp!), served 1/4 avocado mashed with lemon and red pepper flakes, and a single rice crisp, a bunch of cut up veg, and what was left of the olives. Delish. That with some carbonated water--I need SOMETHING to sub for my diet colas.

APRIL25 (8)

Oven Baked Falafel
makes 8-12. I made 10: each about 60Cal: 1g Fat, 0g Sugar, 2g Fiber, 3g Protein

2 c. chickpeas, cooked or from a can
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp tahini
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
juice of 1/4 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease tray.
pulse chickpeas, or mush them by hand, coarsely.
add in cilantro, onion, garlic, tahini, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and baking powder and mix well.
add in the lemon and mix well.

roll into circles, ping-pong ball sized give or take, and lay out on tray. Flatten with your fingers, avoiding having them be too cracked, and bake for 20 minutes or so.. flipping half way.

I dry fried the ones I was right about to eat to just brown them. They weren't the crispy deep-fried falafel you're used to, but they sure were amazing. Mmm.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Awesome! keep up the good work...I'm down 20# too, and maybe 10 more to go. That plate of food looks awesome,.....mmmm.

Hope you feel better!

photojess (VB)