Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Carrot Loaf

I've been really upset at the fact the only carrot bread recipes I can find are for carrot CAKE, just in a loaf form. The amount of carrot is always rather sad and I just felt it wasn't enough: why couldn't we just sub carrot for the other liquids, like we do in banana bread?! I realized then it has a lot to do with the fact grated carrot is nothing like banana puree... but what about carrot puree? I steamed 3 large carrots for 25 minutes till they were nice and soft and blended them in a blender with some of the liquid left in the pot.

I then decided to come up with a recipe for carrot bread. It's still sweet the way banana bread would be, but its distinctively NOT cake. If you had told me even a year ago that I'd be baking this much, and coming up with all of the recipes myself, I would have laughed very very hard.

APRIL21F

Carrot Loaf
makes 8-10 slices. For 8 (thick slices) is approximately 135 Calories, 4g Fat, 22g Carbs, 230mg sodium, 2g Sugar*, 2.5g Fiber, 4.5g Protein.

INGREDIENTS:
wet:
1 1/2 cup carrot puree
1/4 cup liquid egg white
2 tbsp cashew butter**
1 tbsp oil***
1 tsp pure lemon juice

dry:
3/4 cup w.w. flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sweetener*
1/2 cup grated carrot (squeeze out excess moisture with hands)

spices:
1/2 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice

INSTRUCTIONS:
Grease a loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350*F

Mix the wet ingredients without the grated carrot.

Mix/sift the dry ingredients in a seperate bowl with the spices.

Mix the dry into the wet until fully incorporated, fold in the grated carrot quickly and pour into loaf pan, put in oven and bake for 50 minutes until toothpick comes out dry.

Let cool completely before removing from the pan.

*Assuming zero-calorie sweetener.
**You can sub with any other nut butter or 1 tbsp oil. Calories will not change but fat/sugar/protein might.
***I recommend rapeseed (canola) or soybean oil for health reasons. Refined coconut oil would taste lovely, just make sure to avoid semi-refined for baking.

APRIL21B
APRIL21C
APRIL21D

While baking I had the cantaloupe, two small pieces of rye with cashew butter, and the batter left on the spatula. Once it was ready I couldn't resist and had an early-ish lunch at 11:15am.. I had two slices, one with margarine and one with cashew butter. Yummm. I had some lovely "harmony" tea, which is a fruity green tea blend (Toronto has a lot of tea shops) to accompany it.

No comments: